Wednesday 8 August 2007

To begin at the beginning

To someone who wants to hitchhike and has never done it before there are a lot of details to take into account, a lot of expectations, a lot of romantic ideas to dream over, and many fears to get anxious about.

This blog is basically going to follow my hitchhiking trip which will depart from Prague, Czech Republic on or around September 10th (for some reason I want to avoid leaving on September 11th).

Whether this trip will take place at all, whether it will be my first and last is yet to be known and is of no use debating about at this point.
I am going to record any thoughts, ideas, fears, mistakes, and any feelings I have from now until after the trip is complete.

At this moment in time I have no plans of a final destination or even an rough itinerary, all I have is a very vague direction I want to travel in. Because I have never done it before I am going to avoid a lot of forward planning concerning arrival dates and return dates. I have no expectations.

Up until the journey has begun I will make verious notes (hopefully they won't be too incoherent) of what I want or think I ought to take on the trip; what precautions to make on the way, what clothes to wear, how much money I will need/exhume and how many toothbrushes to take.

You get the idea.

The general direction of travel I want to take (for now) is in a South Eastern direction, avoiding Austria and hopefully passing through Hungary, Serbia, Croatia, or even Bulgaria. The journey will completely depend on how I feel at various points along the trip. If I wake up after 2 days of travelling and want to follow a river on foot that I happened to camp by all day, then I will do just that. If I didn't even venture out of the Czech Republic after 3 weeks but I was satisfied with my trip then I would still return home.

Here's to hitching.




No comments: